Thursday, August 4, 2011

Theology and Toilet Paper

I will be the first to admit that I can be a little doubtful when I hear miraculous stories of God's provision in people's lives, especially when it comes to material things.  (Getting a check from someone hours before rent is due, etc) I am not doubtful that He can do these things, because He obviously can (Hello, he's GOD!)

I just have trouble thinking that these things can happen to me.

For the past week or so, I have seen God provide for me in ways that I have never seen. Like Material things. What the heck?

Money for school. A new(er) CAR. Job Opportunities. Toilet paper.

Yes. Before you laugh. Hear me out.

This morning in my usual morning fog, I heard someone (i honestly don't know who) tell me we had no TP. 'Great! I can't even wipe my own...(i'll let you figure that one out)' But being too tired, I knew I was pretty screwed for the day, but just went back to bed. Also keep in mind I can't leave the house because my current car is pretty much...dead. (It overheats in the hot sun)

Flash forward to an hour later. Nature calls and i begin to worry of what I will do. I go downstairs to the bathroom and what do I see?

A plethora of toilet paper.

I have never been so happy to see TP! Right when I thought I would have to spend the day toilet paperless and uncomfortable, it seems like TP just rained from the sky.

For the record I don't believe that TP just magically appeared.  But this whole toilet paper 'ish' made me realize GOD PROVIDES. In the big things and the little things. He always provides for his children!

I think the thing is, because of our sin nature, we always want more. We want things we don't necessarily need. And when we don't get these things that we think we are entitled to, we believe that God is not providing for our needs.

For example, I mentioned earlier that I have acquired a newer car.  I have been praying for one for at least the past few years. A year would go by...no new car...etc. Meanwhile my little Honda was getting worse. Then I got a job...I said I would save my money...but alas I was a horrible steward of my money and did not save a penny.

Flash forward to July. I become in posession of money. Then I see a pretty sweet deal on classifieds for a car for $2700. I test drive the car. Loved it. Love the owners. They love me (I think?) But I only had a quarter saved.

Before I ramble on. In short God provided. But it was only when I was willing to surrender my own desires and what I thought I needed and really trust that he would provide. I had to really accept the fact that what I want may not be what he wants. That was a hard pill to swallow.

I have been learning that the process is the best part. If God just gave us answers, we wouldn't truly learn anything.

God provides. Not just in the material things. I look at my life and the lives of my fellow brothers and sisters and see how God is so faithful.

But because I am just a finite human being, I am always forgetting. Sometimes it takes things like toilet paper to remind me just how much he's got my behind.

Please...PLEASE tell me you got that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment