Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Future Freaks Me Out.

So here we are. The end of summer. Where did time go? It just seemed like yesterday that I was at Biola. Living temporarily in a rent free apartment...Being a film kid and spending way too much time on film sets....wanting to cry...actually crying...dealing with difficult actors...dreading phone calls from the UPM or Executive producer...making call sheets...taking way to many BTS photos..going to bed at an unreasonable hour only to wake up  6:45am for a 8am call time. Ah. The good life.

Even though this summer zoomed by and I honestly don't know where it went, it was a very eye-opening one. Unfortunately this summer was marked by the tragedy of the unexpected passing of my grandfather and other struggles. Despite these hardships, I have never felt God's closeness like I have this summer.

In the sake of looking back and remembering...here are some important lessons I learned (or in the process of learning) this summer.

The importance of Family
I really got to spend a significant time with both sides of my family. And I am beginning to see how important family is. Yes, no family is perfect. In the face of hardship, all those preconceived judgments that you may have don't matter, in fact you find out you are completely wrong. I have been amazed to see how my extended family came together to cope with my grandfather's passing and how through this tragedy God used it to rebuild relationships and open up lines of communication.

Reconciliation/Rebuilding Relationships 
I came to realize that there are some people in my life that I have held some sort of bitterness towards. While I said I forgave them, in my heart I still held onto the past. I've also realized that I, too have hurt people and want to begin to mend those relationships if possible. It's been a very humbling experience to confront these heart issues with God.


Love My Neighbor
The past two months, God has been showing me what my life will look like Post-Biola. It's pretty easy to love your neighbor at a place like Biola. But when you are taken out of that bubble and see the reality of this world, you find that it's really difficult to truly love those around you and see people as Christ sees them. God has been breaking my heart for the lost and those 'forgotten' by society.


God is Calling me to something Deeper...
A year ago, the word reflection just meant what I saw in the mirror. But in the past year I have been challenged to really look at my life (and my past) and see where God is in the midst of it all. With each situation I dealt with this summer....the good ones and bad...I have been able to see God's hand in it. Even though it can be difficult to stay focused on the bigger picture when we face of trials..There were many times I wanted to give up and just go back to my old ways..but I know that God is constantly pushing me to preserve because he is calling me to a deeper relationship with Him. I just have to be willing to take the risk and go there with him. 

My body is God's temple.
Let's be honest. I put on some weight. You and I both know this. I mean being 5' 1" if you gain any amount of weight it SHOWS. So this summer I really committed to losing a couple pounds and most importantly eating healthier and making good choices. For the first time EVER, I actually stuck to exercising regularly and eating healthy. I even lost some pound-age! HOLLER.

One of the things I am kind of scared of: THE FUTURE.

This is my last semester! I should be excited, right? A new semester brings new things.

I am DEAD terrified. I like college. I love what I have at Biola. I am scared of what life will look like after. Where will I live? Will I have a job? Where will I go to grad school?

All these things run through my head, their is no putting it off now, I am 4 months away from graduating!

I have to constantly go back to Christ with this one. God has my back. He will take care of me. Yes, I will probably freak out when things don't go the way I plan/or wanted them to. But that just reminds me that GOD IS IN CONTROL. He will get me where ever he wants me...in his own way...not my own.

Things on my mind as I enter my LAST SEMESTER EVER.


 SLOW DOWN AND TAKE IT ALL IN
With this being my last semester. It will be a pretty hectic one I'm sure. I have class..internship..a job (hopefully?!) Maybe a social life if I'm lucky. I just hope I will remember to slow down and take in all that is going on. Enjoy each moment.


RELATIONSHIPS
While at my time at Biola, I have cultivated significant friendships with numerous people. I pray that I will continue to invest in these existing relationships and continue to form new bonds with people in and out of the Biola community.


BEING AWAY FROM MY FAMILY
Yes this definitely sounds like a freshmen thing. But it will be hard, especially because my family is currently in transition to moving back in with my grandmother. A part of why my family is moving back is to help take care of my grandmother, who has shown early signs of dementia. Dementia is a horrible thing and it scares me to think how rapidly it can effect someone's brain. Please pray for my grandmother and my family as they make this transition.

VOCATION/CAREER
After much prayer and wrestling with God over this, I have decided to pursue a master's in counseling. God has definitely been showing me where my passions lie and I have experienced great joy out of helping those around me and investing in people's lives. Yes, counseling is a total 180 from film, but I trust that this is what God wants me to pursue at this moment.  So what do I want to do with this degree? I want to get certified in marriage and family therapy and maybe work in higher ed ..possibly working in Res Life  for a bit and go from there. But I am just open to wherever God leads...who knows I could possibly just end up working as Goofy at Disneyland and be perfectly content.

So. That's the plan. If you read all this thank you. That was a lot to read.






2 comments:

  1. I'd write a recommendation for you any day. You'd make an amazing RD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww shucks! If this was facebook I would like your comment a million times!

    If I do become an RD...I must say that I learned from one of the best! =]

    ReplyDelete